Experience a delicious combination of flavors with this homemade Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake! Bursting with the sweetness of cherry preserves and a moist sour cream base, this easy coffee cake recipe creates the perfect balance of tangy and sweet. It's the ideal breakfast companion to your morning cup of coffee, afternoon snack, or an indulgent dessert to end your day. Every crumb offers a taste of home-baked love.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Old-Fashioned Cherry Coffee Cake
This old-fashioned cherry coffee cake recipe gives you a homemade treat that everyone will appreciate. And if you love coffee cake and you love cherries, then why not combine them to make a cake that's extra special?
Why You Should Try This Recipe for Cherry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This easy cherry coffee cake recipe can be made very quickly, and you will probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry. It's a winner, and it may become your go-to recipe for coffee cake! It's a delicious treat that everyone will love.
This vintage recipe gives you two pans of cherry jam cake. This way, after your family devours one, you will have a second for a cherry breakfast cake.
Best of all, this cherry cake can be made ahead of time, frozen, and served later.
Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake - Ingredients You Will Need
To make this old-fashioned cherry coffee cake, you will need the following:
For the cake:
- Fat-free sour cream
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Cherry preserves
You can use any variety of cherries, but sour cherries work really well with the sweetness of this cake.
For the glaze:
- Powdered sugar
- Whole milk
The glaze is optional. The cake is delicious with or without it.
How to Make This Easy Cherry Coffee Cake
This cherry coffee cake recipe is not at all difficult to make. Here are the steps:
To make the cake:
- Beat the butter with the sugar.
- Add the eggs and then the sour cream.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the dry ingredients and the butter mixture.
- Stir in the lemon zest, vanilla, and cherry preserves.
- Spread the batter between two 8-inch square buttered cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes.
To make the glaze:
- Combine the sugar and milk.
- Pour the glaze over the coffee cake.
Sour Cream Fruit Coffee Cake - If an old-fashioned cherry coffee cake isn’t your thing because you’re not that fond of cherries, there’s nothing to stop you from using a different fruit preserve – apple, blueberry, or peach for example.
You will get the best results if your ingredients are at room temperature before you start. If you forget to take them out of the fridge ahead of time, here's how to get your ingredients to room temperature quickly:
- Eggs: Submerge in a bowl of lukewarm water for about 15 minutes.
- Sour cream: Place it in a microwave-safe mug and heat for 5 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
- Butter: Heat (wrapped – not in foil!) on a microwave-safe plate for 20 seconds, rotating every 4 seconds.
To prevent your coffee cake from becoming too dry, be careful not to over-measure the flour. Fluff the flour with a spoon, scoop it into a measuring cup, and level off the top. Or use a kitchen scale for precise measurement. Another reason for a dry cake could be that it's been baked for too long.
How to Serve Cherry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This delicious cherry coffee cake is perfect for your morning coffee break or any time you want to enhance your favorite cup of java. After all, it is a coffee cake!
This colorful and tasty cherry coffee cake is perfect for a cherry breakfast cake. You can also serve it for brunch or turn it into a dessert with a topping of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
And remember, dessert can always be eaten any time before dinner!!
How to Store Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake
Refrigerator: Store this cherry jam cake tightly wrapped in the fridge for up to a week.
Freezer: Store tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a zip-top freezer bag. Thaw uncovered at room temperature.
This old-fashioned cherry coffee cake is incredible warmed up in a low oven after thawing or in the microwave for 20 seconds or so.
More Vintage Dessert Recipes
Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake
- ¼ pound butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ cup cherry preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8-inch square cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Add sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Batter will be stiff.
- Stir in the vanilla, lemon zest, and cherry preserves.
- Spread batter in pans. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and whole milk. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the glaze over the coffee cake after it has cooked for at least 20 minutes.