Take a delightful trip down memory lane with Betty Crocker Hot Dog Casserole! This nostalgic dish begins with creamy mashed potatoes, elevated with sweet pickle relish, onion, and yellow mustard. Nestled in a casserole and encircled by hot dogs, the dish is baked to heartwarming perfection. A true testament to retro culinary creativity, this casserole promises to evoke cherished memories and create new ones.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Betty Crocker Hot Dog Casserole a Super Easy and Inexpensive Weeknight Dinner You Should Try
Everyone is so busy these days working hard to pay the bills, and with time and money in short supply, making casseroles for dinner is a great idea. They are super easy to throw together and can feed even a large family for a fraction of the cost of one large pizza. There is no reason you shouldn't try one of the favorite recipes from the Betty Crocker Kitchens.
While there is an endless selection of casseroles, it is time to bring back an old-time favorite from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. This easy Hot Dog Casserole combines hot dogs and fluffy mashed potatoes seasoned with classic hot dog toppings into one mouthwatering meal.
What Makes This Hot Dog Casserole Recipe So Good?
Nostalgia is lovely and everything, but no recipe is worth making if it doesn't taste great. Well, luckily, this dish does taste fantastic. And it doesn't take much time or skill in the kitchen to make with ingredients you probably already have.
So, if you value convenience, taste, and a bit of old-school charm when it comes to family meals, you will definitely want to try this one.
Hot Dog Casserole With Potatoes Ingredients
For the casserole, you'll need:
- Sweet pickle relish
- Mayonnaise or Ranch Dressing
- Instant minced onion
- Yellow mustard
- Mashed potatoes (see below for the recipe)
- Hot dogs
There are several brands of instant minced onions, but McCormick is one of the more common ones you'll find in almost every supermarket.
For the mashed potatoes, you'll need:
- Butter or margarine
- Whole milk
- Betty Crocker™ Instant Mashed Potatoes
You can use another brand of instant mashed potatoes if you prefer. If you are using another brand, disregard the directions for preparing the mashed potatoes below and follow the ones on the package you are using instead.
How to Make This Easy Hot Dog Casserole
To make the mashed potatoes:
- Bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Immediately turn off the heat and stir in the whole milk and Betty Crocker™ Instant Mashed Potatoes.
- Wait a minute and stir some more to hydrate the instant mashed potato flakes fully.
- Transfer them to a bowl and cover it to keep the mashed potatoes warm.
To assemble and bake the Hot Dog Casserole with potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stir the sweet pickle relish, mayo (or Ranch dressing), instant minced onions, and yellow mustard into the mashed potatoes.
- Spread the seasoned mashed potatoes on the bottom of a 1-quart ungreased casserole dish.
- Cut the hot dogs in half lengthwise and then each half in the other direction.
- Stick the cut end into the mashed potatoes around the edge of the casserole dish. The rounded side should face towards the middle.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the hot dogs are cooked and the mash is hot.
Like any casserole, you can customize this recipe to match what you have on hand or your family's preferences. Here are a few suggestions for changes:
- Use homemade mashed potatoes. Instant mash is a convenient time-saver but can't compare with freshly cooked mashed potatoes.
- Add some cheese. Cheesy mashed potatoes. Good. Cheesy hot dogs. Good. Sprinkling your favorite shredded cheese over the top of the casserole before baking? Fabulous.
- Try hot peppers. Anyone who loves extra hot food can mix some chopped jalapeno peppers into the mashed potatoes.
What to Serve With An Easy Hot Dog Casserole
Casseroles are a great one-pot meal, but that doesn't mean you can't add a side or two if you want. Here are three that will go great with a Hot Dog Casserole:
- Chili: A bowl of your favorite chili ramps up the meal's heat.
- Salad: An old-school salad consisting of iceberg lettuce, sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, and tomato wedges dressed in vinegarette pairs perfectly with this casserole.
- Roasted vegetables: Serve your favorite roasted vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts are all excellent options.
How to Store This Hot Dog Casserole Recipe
Let the casserole cool to room temperature, then cover the top with aluminum foil. Stick the dish in the refrigerator for up to three days or wrap it with a layer of plastic and freeze for up to a month. Thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
How to Reheat This Casserole
The oven will heat the casserole evenly and crisp up the mashed potatoes nicely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover the thawed casserole with aluminum foil and reheat for about 25 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil from the top of the dish after 15 minutes and stir the mashed potatoes.
More Casserole and Main Dish Recipes
Betty Crocker Hot Dog Casserole
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes dry
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 4 to 6 hot dogs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Remove from the heat.
- Add the milk and instant mashed potatoes and stir until just moistened. Let stand for about 30 seconds or until the liquid is absorbed. Then whip with a fork until fluffy.
- Add the relish, mayonnaise, onion, and mustard and mix well.
- Spread the mashed potatoes in an ungreased 1-quart casserole dish.
- Cut each hot dog in half lengthwise and then in half crosswise. Arrange the hot dog pieces around edge of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center is hot.