Cabbage sausage soup is a hearty and comforting soup that’s certain to warm you up! It’s easy to make and full of delightful savory flavors. When you make this soup, you’ll understand why sausage and cabbage are just meant for each other. If hugs were thought of as food, this soup would be a hug!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hearty Soup for Winter
Winter is time for soup, but not just any soup! This recipe for old-timey cabbage and sausage soup gives you a real, stick-to-the-ribs, hearty soup. It will warm you and satisfy your hunger after you’re done shoveling snow outside! When the temperature is dropping, there’s nothing like relaxing in front of the fire with a bowl of low-carb cabbage soup.
Why This Is the Best Recipe for Cabbage Soup With Sausage
This cabbage and sausage soup recipe deserves a blue ribbon because it gives you a rich and tasty soup that everyone will love. What’s more, it’s the perfect make-ahead dish that will give you more time to spend helping your kids with their homework.
This is the kind of soup that will remind you of the soups your grandmother made. Here’s your shopping list for this sausage cabbage soup recipe:
- Italian sausage
- Canned tomatoes
- Brown sugar
- Dried basil, oregano, and rosemary
- Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
Cabbage: A head of cabbage is inexpensive, and it takes only a few minutes to chop up. However, you can buy pre-cut cabbage if you prefer. Get more info on how to cut cabbage.
And 7 cups of green cabbage may seem like a cabbage mountain, but as it cooks, it will wilt and fit in your soup pot.
Sugar: Adding a little sugar helps combat the tinny taste of the canned tomatoes. However, if you are trying to do away with sugar, feel free to leave it out. You can add some finely grated carrots will give you some sweetness.
How to Make Cabbage Sausage Soup
This keto cabbage soup with sausage is really easy to make. Here are the steps in brief (for more details see instructions below):
- Cook the sausage, onion, and garlic in a large soup pot until the meat is browned.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and serve.
Alternate Cooking Method - Slow Cooker
If you want to make this soup in your slow cooker, first brown the sausage and then add all the rest of the ingredients. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
This recipe gives you both a keto cabbage soup with sausage and a low-carb cabbage soup. However, you may want to vary the recipe as follows:
- Substitute smoked kielbasa sausage or chicken andouille sausage for Italian sausage.
- Make the soup vegan by using vegan sausage.
- Add other root vegetables or winter squash such as potatoes, carrots, parsnips, or butternut squash.
How to Serve Cabbage Sausage Soup
Everyone loves a bowl of warm soup in the cold season. However, to get the most warmth out of your soup, don’t serve it in cold bowls. Here are three tips for warming up your soup bowls before warming yourself up with soup!
- Run each bowl under hot water for a few minutes, then dry it off.
- Heat some water in a kettle and pour it into your bowls. Dump the water out before serving the soup.
- Stack bowls in an oven set to its lowest setting and remove them just before serving. If they are too hot, use hot pads and let them cool off a little.
When you serve your cabbage sausage soup, you may want to top it with a dollop of sour cream or some grated cheddar cheese.
What Goes Well With Cabbage Soup With Sausage
Serve this soup with cheddar cheese biscuits or homemade dinner rolls.
How to Store Cabbage and Sausage Soup
Refrigerator: Cool the soup to room temperature and transfer it to an airtight container. Your sausage and cabbage soup will last 3 to 4 days in your fridge.
Freezer: Pour your cooled soup into a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. A good idea is to freeze individual servings of soup so you can take out a container before you go to bed when you want some soup for a quick lunch the next day. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.
Reheat: Heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Vintage Dinner Recipes
Cabbage Sausage Soup
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 7 cups chopped cabbage about 1 ½ pounds
- 4 cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the sausage is browned.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Discard the bay leaf before serving.